Steve Waugh is a former Australian cricketer who captained the Australian Test cricket team from 1999 to 2004. He is not only recognized in the cricket world, and is only one of three Australians to have been invited to join the prestigious Laureus World Sports Academy and only the 4th cricketer to be so honoured. He was named Australian of the Year in 2004, awarded the Order of Australia and also received the Australian Sports Medal.
Innovaid came on board to manage The Steve Waugh Foundation – India in 2009 and was mandated with the task to conduct intensive capacity building of the principal support NGO, Udayan. This involved conducting an analysis of the NGO and its current need areas and points of intervention for the Steve Waugh Foundation. Founded in 1970 by Reverend James Stevens, the immediate need was the develop a more robust governance structure to support the organisation well into the future.
Simultaneously, Innovaid worked with Steve Waugh Foundation – Global to build a strategy for taking the Steve Waugh Foundation to other areas of India and to work on other rare disease programs, beyond Leprosy. Innovaid undertook widespread research and worked collaboratively with the World Health Organisation to identify other intervention areas for Steve Waugh and his philanthropy.
Innovaid worked with the team at Udayan for over 12months to strengthen programs, enhance marketing and build a more robust support system around them to ensure their long term sustainability:
- Programs – Strategised and helped implement a ‘Placement Cell’ to support students bridge the gap between vocational education and employment.
- Governance – Helped in the crucial recruitment of a Manager to play a leadership role in taking Udayan forward into the future. Innovaid also helped establish and formalise the ‘Friends of Udayan’ in India.
- Marketing – Innovaid worked with internal staff to guide the development of a new website for Udayan, along with the development of an impactful AV Film and ‘school song’ which has become a key marketing tool of the organisation.
- Operations – Helped to establish key internal systems including a child protection policy.
- Strategy – Developed a PAN India strategy for the launch of Steve Waugh Foundation – India. Managed the foundation and helped develop key relationships, manage events and foster partnerships.
"I’m inspired by ‘courage’ and ‘character’, especially in children in challenging circumstances. I’ve always wanted to help sick children who through no fault of their own, ‘fall through the cracks’ and have nowhere to turn for help. To me, being Australian is about looking after your mates, taking care of the less fortunate, supporting the underdog and enhancing the spirit that makes all Australians unique.”
Former Australian Cricket Captain